The question “Measure your feet first or try on your shoes right away?” is more important than you might think. Because it is not that you try on and buy a shoe in a specialist shop. The next day, you put on your new shoes and notice that the shoe is pressing on all your toes after wearing them.
In children, in particular, both feet are rarely measured. However, this step is important because children’s feet grow very dynamically and differ in length and width. In addition, the little ones can often find it difficult to tell whether the new shoe squeezes or is too big. The foot measurement is a good way to determine the correct shoe size.
In this article, we’ll cover the top reasons to measure your feet. We’ll also give you tips on How To Correctly Measure Foot For Shoe Size Best Fit
How To Correctly Measure Foot For Shoe Size Best Fit
Have you ever accidentally picked up a larger or smaller-sized pair of shoes? Then you should follow a few simple rules when buying your next pair.
- To order shoes online, you need to correctly measure your foot size.
- Legs swell during the day and after waking up. So it is advisable to take your measurements in the first half of the day and not immediately after waking up.
- Use a flat, hard surface to measure your feet’ size.
- You cannot take measurements barefoot; be sure to wear a thin cotton sock or tights.
- The measurement should be taken while standing up straight, so you will need an assistant. Put your feet shoulder-width apart, the load on both legs should be even.
- Use a thin, hard rod to outline. If you are using a pencil, then due to its thickness, allow for a shift of about 3mm.
- In the process of sketching, the rod or pencil should be vertical to the surface.
How To Tell If A Shoe Fits
A good rule of thumb is that: If your foot slides forward in the shoe, it’s a probably bigger size for you.
- When trying on some socks with your shoes, they also should suit the type of shoes. So testing out winter shoes with fine fishnet stockings makes no sense
- If the shoes that are too big are leather shoes, a shoemaker can help. They will work on moistening the leather so that it slowly contracts again. For the result to be perfect, you should by no means try this method at home.
- Always buy shoes according to the current season. Usually, the feet are bigger in summer than in winter
- Also good to know: Most people’s feet are bigger in the morning than in the evening. That’s why buying shoes should always be done in the afternoon.
How To Measure Kids Shoe Size
The purchase of suitable children’s shoes is often a challenge for parents. New shoes have to be tried on before deciding to buy them. And that’s where it gets difficult. As is well known, kids get tired quickly from trying too many shoes on and then may don’t feel like doing it anymore.
To avoid this stress, parents usually buy the shoes for their children on their own and use the right to return the product in case they’re not the best fit. This is of course a fine way of doing things. But with a precise foot measurement for your kids, you reach your goal even faster.
It is better to measure the children’s feet in advance. This is quick and painless and saves the child and parents from potential shopping stress.
You can also try this simple and easy app for measuring your kids’ feet and shoe size
A foot measurement is also advisable for adults to determine the correct shoe size. Because feet can get wider or flatter over time for a variety of reasons. That is why you should determine the current foot measurements from time to time to make the choice of suitable shoes much easier. But how do you actually miss your feet?
This is how you can measure your feet correctly. You have to pay attention to the following points when measuring your feet:
1. When should I measure my feet?
In order to measure your feet accurately, you have to do this in the afternoon or evening. Otherwise, the measured values will most likely be smaller. Why? Well, it has been found that in the second half of the day the feet can widen accordingly in length or width.
2. In which position do you measure feet?
The feet must be measured while standing because the feet sizes are slightly smaller when sitting. This is because the arch of the foot is more stressed and flatter when standing. That lengthens the foot. Therefore, always stand up to ideally measure the feet.
3. Can I wear socks when taking measurements?
Sure, of course! You can leave your socks on while measuring. But make sure that your feet are not constricted by tight socks. It is important that the feet can move comfortably in the sock. Alternatively, you can of course also measure barefoot.
4. Why a single measurement is not enough?
As already mentioned at the beginning, feet can still grow or adopt a different fit after the age of twenty. That is why you should measure or have your feet measured from time to time.
A second important point is that you should definitely measure both feet! Because often a person’s feet differ in length and width.
What else do you have to consider when measuring your feet for shoe size?
After you have determined the foot measurements, you should add a few millimeters to the length and width measurements. In terms of width, it is sufficient if you add two to four millimeters or 0.08 to 0.2 inches (children and adults). When determining the length, pay attention to which type of shoe you want to buy and what you are looking for.
How Much Room Should You Have In A Shoe
How to measure baby shoe size ? Add twelve millimeters or 0.5 inches for toe room and about two to three millimeters or 0.08 to 0.1 inches for growth. Please note that you will need to remeasure every four weeks as a toddler’s feet grow extremely quickly.
How to measure toddler shoe size ? add twelve millimeters or 0.5 inches to the foot length for the toe room and four to six millimeters or 0.2 inches for the growth. The same applies here: A new measurement must be carried out at least every three months!
How much space should be in your shoe ? In the case of adults, only the twelve-millimeter or 0.5 inches toe room needs to be taken into account.
With open-toe sandals, you should add seven to ten millimeters or 0.3 to 0.4 inches of room for each age group.